?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I don't have a leaky pipe icon

... but if I did I would be using it right now. About to go to bed at midnight and went down to the kitchen to switch off the lights, big puddle of water on the floor. Uh oh. Further investigation proved that it was coming from the cupboard under the sink. Woke mother, emptied cupboard, found pipe leaking in several places and getting worse. Last 2 hours we've spent switching off bailing out the cupboard and phoning every plumber in London who advertises themself as 24 emergency callout and IT'S ALL LIES! 95% of them just have answerphones and the remaining 5% divert to some guy at a callcentre who just tells us he doesn't have anyone to send.

Finally found someone after an hour and a half who's coming over from Richmond (or possibly Australia, given the accent) and we're now sitting, waiting (bailing) for him to turn up and horrifying ourselves with what ifs. Mostly what if I hadn't gone downstairs before bed.

Comments

( 5 comments — Leave a comment )
ghyste
Mar. 13th, 2009 09:34 am (UTC)
Aargh! I had that happen with a pipe in the bathroom which burst the day after S had left for two weeks working abroad. I had to spend two days with the wather turned off before I could get anyone to come and fix it. 24-hour plumbers lie like lying things.
aaron1972
Mar. 13th, 2009 11:25 am (UTC)
Or perhaps the 24 hour plumbers who lie like lying things suffered the experiences of my dad who would go out at all hours and find that people then refused to pay/moaned at the cost/wrote dud cheques etc. When you have these things happen to you on a regular basis you then think "Bugger this" and leave the answerphone on - or, as he did, give up altoegther due to the hassle and work for a company.
schehera
Mar. 13th, 2009 05:45 pm (UTC)
I can understand the frustration and in fact the firm we finally got to come out required us to give them our credit card details over the phone so they could check them there and then before they sent anyone. However, every single plumber we called last night we called because they specifically advertised themselves as available 24/7 for emergencies. If a firm can't, won't, or chose not to offer the service that's fine but don't then fucking advertise as doing so. At best it's misrepresentation, at worse - if they're getting any of the money from the out of hours premium numbers we were calling - it's outright fraud. We spent a small fortune on telephone calls last night which we have no way of claiming back.
sying
Mar. 14th, 2009 06:01 pm (UTC)
Ugh.

Maybe some of the 24-hour plumbers think that it could also mean they'll come by in 24 hours...

Hope you've managed to get some sleep!
violet_wizard
Mar. 14th, 2009 11:14 pm (UTC)
That sucks big time. You don't need that kind of hassle any time of day, never mind in the middle of the night! Is everything OK now?
( 5 comments — Leave a comment )

Profile

Sherlock Funny Brains
schehera
Schehera

Latest Month

November 2013
S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Keri Maijala